Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hollandaise Sauce.

I almost made Alton Brown's, but went with this one from James Villas' "Glory of Southern Cooking" instead. James is my favorite food author, and this particular book may be the cream of the crop of his extensive works.

Hollandaise Sauce

4 large egg yolks
1 TBSP cold water
8 TBSP (one stick) butter, at room temp.
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper (James uses white pepper, but I stole the cayenne from Alton.)
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice

Combine the egg yolks & water in the top of a double boiler. Beat until thickened. Place over barely simmering water and stir until warm, not hot. Add the butter 2 TBSP at a time, stirring constantly until well blended. Stir 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, add salt, pepper, & lemon juice. Stir about 2 minutes longer, and keep barely warm over hot water until ready to serve.

I served this over omelets made with the left-over Crab Mornay. While I don't eat eggs or crab, even though I cook many variations of both, my wife & guests declared it to be delicious, but very rich.

No comments: