Saturday, October 4, 2008

Chicken Spaghetti.

I've never been a big fan of chicken spaghetti. However, the rest of my family loves it. Lately, I've tried three or four recipes, and while they were all good, and were consumed by the rest of the household, I was not blown away. A couple of days ago, Lorraine made her Aunt Suzanne's recipe. It is fantastic! I really enjoyed it. I hope that you do as well. The only thing that I changed was the addition of a small jar of pimentos. I also make it easier on myself, and instead of cooking chicken, I usually just buy a rotisserie chicken at Wal-Mart or the closest grocery and just de-bone it. It's fast, cheap, easy, and tasty.

Chicken Spaghetti
aka Chicken Rotel

4 chicken breasts, poached & chopped (or 1 rotisserie chicken, de-boned and chopped)
12-16 ounces thin spaghetti
1 pound Velveeta, cubed
1 stick butter
2 onions, chopped fine
1 bag frozen green peas
1 can Rotel
1 medium jar diced pimentos
1-2 cups shredded cheddar

Cook spaghetti according to package instruction (cooking in chicken broth adds flavor) until done. In a skillet, melt butter, then add onion and saute for several minutes. Add peas, Rotel, & pimentos and cook on low for several minutes. Add Velveeta and let melt into a sauce. Mix all together and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Top with shredded cheddar. (Add some chicken stock if it needs some extra liquid.)

This recipe is easily doubled, and it freezes well. Cook once, eat at least twice!

1 comment:

amwurst said...

This is almost identical to my recipe. I LOVE chicken spaghetti. The key is spicy rotel. Mild just does NOT cut it.