Friday, July 29, 2016

French Camp Bread

French Camp Bread

Somewhere around the turn of the millennium, I bought a packet of recipes at the Council House Cafe in French Camp, MS. We would drive down from Starkville occasionally just to eat lunch there. So, when they made the recipes available, I instantly bought them. But along the way, the original packet was lost and I had only added about half of them to my electronic files. Those four or five have been on this blog for ages. Today, many years later, that missing packet has turned up. And this recipe for the magical bread, that I KNEW existed but could not locate, is now available to me again!


2 to 2.5 cups flour
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 TBSP butter

Mix 3/4 cup flour, sugar, salt, and undissolved yeast. Heat milk, water & butter to lukewarm. Slowly add dry ingredients and beat for two minutes. Add 1/4 cup flour and beat two more minutes. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Pour out onto a floured board and knead two or three minutes. Put in a bread pan and let rise for about an hour. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.


1 comment: