Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole.

This is pretty much the perfect version of this classic comfort food. We had it for dinner last night. And I've just had it again for breakfast!

Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole

4-5 chicken breasts (or 1 whole chicken), cooked & chopped
Two 6 oz. boxes long grain wild rice, prepared to package directions
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups water or chicken stock
1 cup mayo
1 can cream of celery soup
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 can water chestnuts, drained (optional - I hate them!)
1 bag frozen broccoli, steamed & finely chopped
1 bag frozen chopped spinach

Combine prepared rice & chicken. Saute onion & celery in butter and/or olive oil for several minutes, then add to rice mixture. Stir in water, mayo, soup, cheddar, water chestnuts, spinach, & broccoli. Pour into a 9X13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly.

1 comment:

Lorie said...

I do a very similar casserole except without broccoli. What makes this to me is the celery. I love celery (another kind of ho-hum veggie) and I like for it to be crisp-tender. It adds so much to casseroles like this.