Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Barbe-Cups.

One of my favorite cookbooks is "Festival," a production of the Humphreys Academy patrons in Belzoni, MS. The title pays homage to the world-famous Catfish Festival held in Belzoni each April. I have had the privilege of attending several of the festivals, and had a great time. I received the cookbook as a wedding gift from Shannon and her grandmother, Nannie, who I adored.

One of the recipes that I turn to time and again is Barbe-cups. They are fast, ridiculously simple, and delicious. They are comfort food. Serve them with some steamed broccoli or some butter beans, and you have a complete meal in about 30 minutes.

Barbe-Cups

1 pound ground beef or sausage
1 TBSP minced onion, or about 1/2 of a fresh onion, chopped
3 TBSP (or more) BBQ sauce
2 TBSP ketchup
3 TBSP brown sugar
2 cans Hungry Jack flaky biscuits (10-count)
shredded Cheddar

Brown the meat and drain. Add onion, BBQ, ketchup, and brown sugar. Mix well. Flatten biscuits with your fingers until they roughly double in diameter. Grease muffin tins and press biscuits into each section to cover the bottom & sides. Sprinkle cheddar in the bottom, then spoon in meat mixture. Add a little extra cheese on top. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.

4 comments:

Robert said...

OK,I have to make a tray of these damned things now. Throw BBQ in a biscuit cup and I am all over it (unfortunately). Throw in Butter beans and Muscadines for dessert and Shannon will be happy.

Sandra said...

I make these things about once a week. The girls love them! They think they are Barbie cups (as in the Barbie doll). Whatever, they eat them!

Robert Vardaman said...

I frequently have to change my pants when eating at your house :) Now, I just have to get Julian to pay attention to this damn blog so I can enjoy them here too! I hate BBQ as much as I hate Belzoni, but damn these things are great!

Robert Vardaman said...

and I just realized there is another Robert that posts here too... I'm assuming its the one thats getting married in Tampa? We are going to have to figure out some way to differentiate b/w us!