Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Old-Fashioned Tea Cakes.

My mother still talks about the tea cakes that her paternal grandmother made. Sadly, that recipe was taken to the grave with her when she died suddenly, years before I was born. I don't know that I've ever even had a proper tea cake, but I'll try this one out soon. It was in the food section of the local newspaper today.

Old-Fashioned Tea Cakes

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons buttermilk
2½ cups (or more) all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat shortening in a mixing bowl at low speed. Add sugar, egg and buttermilk; milk well. Sift in flour, salt and baking powder together. Add to sugar mixture and mix well. Add vanilla; mix well. Roll dough ¼-inch thick on a floured surface. Cut with cooking cutter. Place on nonstick cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Makes 3 dozen

No comments: