Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pralines #1.

I've wanted to make pralines for a while, but for some reason they have intimidated me. The timing of the heat, the very quick setting up, etc. But, I tried this recipe tonight, and it worked well. It's quick, and excellently flavored. They are not quite as smooth & creamy as I prefer, but still very, very good. Of course, now, I get to try more recipes to find the exact version that I want. And, after a quick browsing of my cookbooks, there are an amazing variety of praline recipes out there.

Pralines

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups pecan pieces

Combine sugars, then add milk and mix well. Cook over medium heat until mixture reaches the soft ball stage, 236-238 degrees. Remove from heat, and quickly stir in butter, vanilla, and pecans. Beat until creamy. Drop by teaspoon onto wax paper.

No comments: