Friday, December 5, 2008

Weidmann's Black Bottom Pie.

For over a century, Weidmann's was an institution in Meridian, MS. I ate there several times, and it was like stepping back in history. Then, it was bought by a group of investors and modernized. I have not eaten there since, but I have heard nothing but negative comments. I honestly don't even know if it has survived the transition, since I can't find a website for it. Here is an article from 1993 about the place.

This was a signature item, and I can attest to its perfection.

Weidmann's Black Bottom Pie

Crust:

20 ginger snaps, crushed to fine crumbs
5 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

Chocolate layer:
2 cups milk, scalded
4 large egg yolks, well beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch
1 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract

Bourbon layer:

1 Tbs gelatin
2 Tbs cold water
2 Tbs bourbon
4 large egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
sweetened whipped cream
unsweetened chocolate shavings

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare the crust by combining cookie crumbs with enough butter to make crumbs hold together-all butter may not be needed. Press crumb mixture into 9" deep pie dish, bake 10 minutes and allow to cool.

For chocolate layer, mix small amount of scalded milk into egg yolks, then stir yolks into remaining milk. Blend sugar and cornstarch in double boiler and add yolk mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until custard coats back of spoon, 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine 1-cup custard with softened chocolate (reserve remaining custard). Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, pour mixture into prepared crust, and chill.

Prepare bourbon layer by dissolving gelatin in cold water. Add gelatin to reserved custard, stir until dissolved, and allow to cool. Stir in bourbon. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy, then slowly beat in sugar until stiff. Fold beaten egg whites into cooled custard, then carefully spoon mixture over chocolate layer in pie crust. Chill until set. Serve topped with sweetened whipped cream and shavings of unsweetened chocolate. Serves 8.


UPDATE 7/29/2016:
Ran across this version from an old issue of Southern Living....



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have their recipe for Remoulade Sauce?

Marcus said...

Sadly, I do not. If I run across it through my Meridian connection, I'll post it immediately and comment back here.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever have any luck with the Remaulade Sauce recipe? It would be a darn shame not to share that recipe because I've never had any that was even close to tasting like theirs did.

Marcus said...

No luck at all. The remnants of the old Weidmann's seem to be scattered to the winds.........

Luann Burns said...

I have the remoulade recipe. you may email me at luannsellshomes@gmail.com & I'll send it along.

: )

Judy Allen Wilosn said...

I live in Belize, but I grew up about 40 miles south of Meridian, at Lake Waukaway. We went to Weidmann's many times. I plan to make a black-bottom pie and was doing some web serfing. I found this site!

http://www.weidmanns1870.com/

There is also a Wikipedia page about Weidmann's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weidmann%27s_restaurant

Ahh, sweet memories.

Judy Allen Wilson